24 September 2012

Michael Jackson's You Are Not Alone.A personal meaning.

1995, I was a 9 year-old kid living my own life. I was far away from the tabloid events at the time. I paid no attention to what was going on in the world at the time. And in my house, Michael Jackson was getting airplay. This week in 1995 was the last week Michael Jackson's "You Are Not Alone" was #1 on the R&B singles chart. I never heard the song until 1996, being as behind as I was at the time. Like I said, I did my own little things. What did I worry?

Being an MJ fan, the last album I was familiar with was "Dangerous". I remember this album because I was living in the Seattle area in 1991, and when this album was played, well, I can't describe it. I already have an entry regarding one of his songs from that album. All I can say is that the world was beginning to change in front of me.

1995 was a time of events and change. In 1995, the Seattle Mariners(my favorite team) would clinch the American League West for the very first time ever. OJ Simpson was being put on trial for murder. Oklahoma City suffered a homegrown terrorist attack. Brian McKnight released the album "I Remember You". South Africa won the Rugby World Cup following the end of apartheid.

"You Are Not Alone", what can I say? It is a great song. But more than that, when I first saw the video, one of the first things I thought about was "I'm in the west coast again". It made me thing of the Pacific Northwest. Another thing that struck me was how time ambiguous it felt. It had scenes from an auditorium, the shore, and some kind of palace. The relatively clear picture in color lets you know it came from the 90s. The only sign that this was from the 90s was Michael's curtained haircut. The video felt more like a timeless montage.

More than that, it was like a bouncing back for Michael Jackson. In 1993, Michael Jackson was accused of child molestation. It was never proven that he actually did anything. However, it put a tarnish on him. It was later found that the child who accused him committed a false accusation to get money out of Michael. It ruined MJ's life. However, making this video might have been a way of saying "I Still Got It", no matter what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyKJAtDNCw


No comments:

Post a Comment