04 October 2012

Looking back on the O.J Simpson trial.


I have hesitated to write this. This trial has been one of the most controversial trials ever. It was very divisive in 1995, and it is still very divisive today. I only remember hearing about the Simpson trial en passant. My mother and father mentioned a bit of it. However, in elementary school, I wasn't paying any attention. I was busy being a kid and enjoying the vestiges of a kid's world of the 90s.

It is quite interesting that in the 1990s, you have the push of the multicultural 90s. I remember it from the televisions. I remember some of the shows like Ghostwriter, The Puzzle Place, to name a few. Nickelodeon was into it as well. I loved it. It made me feel like I was wanted, loved, accepted,and it provided a window to a world for which was out of reach without a plane ticket. I will touch on this later.

One of the big divisive factors in the OJ trial was race. For this reason, it is still difficult, if not impossible, to have a civilized discussion about the trial. It is too much of a hot button issue. Race is a hot button issue because of the history of the USA, and even more so, this world. I'm not here to debate whether or not OJ Simpson murdered Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ronald Goldman. I'm here to touch base about what this trial symbolizes in the 1990s.

OJ Simpson was found not guilty on October 3, 1995. There were quite a few people who were not happy about this, as well as people who were happy. Since this is such a racially charged subject, no one wants to talk about it, or when people talk about it, it can turn very ugly very quickly. Being an African-American male, it is very difficult to talk about the trial. I don't know how to feel. Right now, O.J Simpson is locked up for kidnapping. I don't feel any sympathy for him. However, the murder trial is hard to talk about because it is so polarizing. If you are African-American and you think O.J Simpson is guilty, you can count on getting called an Uncle Tom by many African-Americans. I

I feel a big part of this is due to mistrust between Blacks and Whites. Many African-Americans wonder if White people think OJ Simpson is guilty because he was Black and the murder victims were White. There are White people who feel like Blacks sided with OJ Simpson because he is a fellow Black man. It is difficult to have an independent opinion because there is so many trust issues regarding race relations.

Back to the part about the multicultural 90s. I think the message of the multicultural 90s was sort of like a resting place for us kids back in the day. I don't think we really wanted to deal with the baggage the adults were dealing with. Us kids and youths just wanted a place where we wouldn't have to worry about it, away from the divisive factions that have transcended every era. 

No comments:

Post a Comment